Thursday, August 29, 2013

Arrival and the Start of the Adventure with Surprises!

Today was my first day in my new home in Davos, Switzerland.  While I am still feeling the effects of jet-lag, nothing could stop me from beginning my exploration of my new surroundings.

Refrigerator and Counter
Stove and Dishwasher
My apartment is so sweet.  Have you ever watched the HGTV show, House Hunters International?  If you have, you have seen European kitchens - compared to American kitchens, they are small.  You also have seen where in some locations in Europe the kitchen,  all the cabinets and appliances are NOT included in the rental.  I know, that fact seems quite weird to the American mindset, but it happens here.  I am SO lucky that my apartment is fully equipped!!!  Small as it is, is has everything I need.  There is a lot of counter space, a dishwasher, 3 burner stove, convection oven and refrigerator  There is no microwave.  Apparently in Switzerland, microwaves are not used often and not included in most apartments.  But that is OK, as I rarely used mine except to thaw frozen food. 

Morning Yoga Views
On my first morning, I opened my yoga mat.  Facing the massive windows, with spectacular views of the Alps, I began my yoga practice.  What a great feeling!  See how low the clouds hang?  They are covering over the tops of the mountains on the opposite side of the valley.  Davos is already located a mile high and the mountain tops are even higher!  Our apartment is on the 8th floor of an apartment building, the top floor.  When I learned that we were on the top floor, I humorously called our apartment The Penthouse.  There are 4 other apartments up here, but ours has the best views.  The windows double as sliding glass doors and there is a balcony that runs the length of the windows.

After finishing yoga, I set out to explore and meet Ray for lunch.  We ate at the famous coffee house, Kaffeeklatsch.  KaffeeKlatsch is known for having the best coffee in the world.  We started talking with the server, who spoke perfect English.  Her sister lives in Colorado Springs, working with the Olympics as a nutritionist.  She recognized Ray as someone she had seen in Kaffeeklatsch before.  Ray said that he HAD been there the previous week.
KaffeeKlatsch Apple Cake
She asked if we were vacationing in Davos and we said no that we were going to live there for a year.  

Then when we finished our delicious meal she brought over a gift: a Swiss Apple Cake!   With a chocolate Welcome!! 

She said she was welcoming us to Davos!!!  What a delightful surprise.  

So, now it is time to make dinner.  One of the nuances I am experiencing is looking at the clock and realizing the vast difference in time zones we are in.  As I awake in the morning, my friends in the states may be just going to sleep.  And when I am finished with my day, they are still deep within the middle of theirs.  I feel as though I am ahead of them, as there is a 6 hour time difference, with the sun rising in Switzerland long before it shines on the US.  Even though I know it is all relative and none of it matters, it is a strange sensation of being out of sync.  And realizing at the same time that we are all together on this one planet, enjoying life at the same time.

Bis folgendes Mal Tschüss! (until next time, bye!)

Marybeth

PS I love to hear from you.  Do you have a question or comment?  Is there some aspect of travel, Switzerland or living abroad that tickles you?  I am so happy to correspond with you.  Share your thoughts in the 'Comment' block and I promise to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment