Friday, October 11, 2013

Has Winter Arrived?

What's a Little Rain?


Davos in the morning
Yesterday morning began as some October days here in Davos cool and a little drizzly.   I went to the grocery (as I do almost every other day :))  and got a little wet from the light rain.  When I returned home I began checking email and got rather engrossed with my messages when I received an email from Ray.  He mentioned how it was snowing outside.  I thought he was joking as I knew it was lightly raining.  But I lifted my eyes from the keyboard and turned my head to look out the living room windows.  Holy Cow!!!  It was blizzarding!  The light rain had become the first winter storm in Davos!


Davos around 4PM
All the snow that we saw in previous weeks was on the mountain tops only.  It never reached the valley.  Well, in a matter on moments all that changed!  I cannot tell you how startling it was to see not only snow falling, but the amount of snow falling - it was a white-out.


Check out my video on YouTube; http://www.youtube/PXdZdTEvcGg

The video was taken late last afternoon, around 6PM.  We went to bed wondering what the morning would look like.  The on-line forecast says it is going to snow until 9AM tomorrow.

OK, here we are.  Friday morning.  Let's see how much snow is out there now!

8AM
It is still snowing...and it looks like there is about 15 inches already.    It looks like a magic land.  The temperature is about 28 degrees.  So it's not that cold.  And the forecast says that in two days it will be 50!  It's hard to imagine that this will melt, there is so much snow!  

Heavy Snow
8AM
Because we are just at the freezing mark, the snow is heavy. The evergreen trees hold the snow on their branches and create what looks like icing weighing them down.  It is beautiful.  The streets are plowed and sidewalks shoveled.  Yes, they do have an amazing and effective snow removal system.



Trees Covered in Snow

The pictures hardly do justice to the vision that I see.  It is so bright outside.  The sun in rising behind the mountain and casting a warm glow onto the snow.  And it is still coming down.
Trees Covered in Snow


Crunch Time!
Well, whatever the forecast said,  it's 9:30AM and it is still coming down.  I am getting my snow boots out and taking my first crunchy walk.  They say the snow crunches under your feet.  Now I will find out!

Time for the Gaze
Enjoy your day, wherever you are.  This whole life 'thing', this journey we are on, is one amazing adventure.  Look out your window today and give yourself the gift of gazing at what's out there.  Gazing is different than looking.  When we 'look' we are determining something: Does the grass need mowing?  Is it time to rake the leaves?  When we gaze, it's as though we open our eyes and remove a veil that is there that we didn't realize was there.  In a gaze, we allow our eyes to refocus and look deeply, with wonder, not to determine anything, but to simply appreciate what our eyes fall upon.  There is a sweetness to gazing.  Try it.  One deep breath and one full gaze.  Your 'AH for the morning.

Love and hugs from a winter wonderland,

Marybeth

PS  Please share your thought by leaving a 'Comment' below.  I love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment