Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A New Adventure and A Reunion!

A New Adventure
Train in Davos Platz Station
Tomorrow morning at 5:50AM I board the local train and head north on the two hour ride to Zurich.  Why Zurich?  Because that is the closest international airport and I am headed to Ireland!

The company that Ray works for is headquartered in Cork, Ireland.  We knew that he would take periodic trips to Cork.  And this is the first one.  We will catch the 10:30am flight to London and take the flight to Cork arriving at 3:30pm Cork time - which is one hour earlier than Switzerland.  We have most graciously been invited to dinner at the home of one of a colleague in Cork, so I will get to have a real Irish dinner!  While this is the first time I have been to Cork, it isn't the first time I have been in Ireland.

Low Tide Kinsale
Four years ago, Ray traveled to Cork for work he was doing with P&G.  While the business was in Cork, the group he traveled with decided to stay in the quaint town of Kinsale on the southern shore of Ireland. I arrived on the third day of his meetings and had an entire day to explore by myself.

I took a local walking tour, ate at a pub and watched the tide go out.  The tides in Ireland are so dramatic.  The water in the harbor disappeared!   While on the walking tour, I passed a book store.  For those of you who don't know, I love book stores.  When I enter a book store, I breath in the smell of the books.   I wander up and down the rows of books, then  I find my favorite sections and scan the shelves for something that interests me.  I select a book and find a good spot to sit and read, read, read.

Kinsale Bookshop
So, after the walking tour I searched the cobblestone streets of Kinsale and found the bookstore.  Once inside the question I had was, "what kind of books do they have in Ireland in the topic that I love?"  Again, if you don't know me, my favorite topic is metaphysics.  So, I wondered, what are the people of Ireland interested in around this topic?  Is their interest the same as in the states or is there something different here.  I found Louise Hay books.  I found The Secret.  Then I found a book I had never heard of:  What the Hell are we Doing on Planet Earth.  The title struck me.  I pulled it off the shelf and began to read it.  It was interesting, intriguing, and thought provoking so I did the next best thing: I bought it.  I went back to the hotel and continued reading.

Then I did something I have never done before:  I emailed the author of the book. I remember I wrote that I was from the US, visiting Ireland and wanted to share my thoughts about his book. I remember asking myself: 'why are you sending this email.  Authors don't read emails that people send them.  No one will ever reply to your email.'  So many thoughts that would have stopped me from hitting 'send', but for some reason I sent it. Within 20 minutes, I received a reply!!!  From the author!  He asked where in Ireland I was visiting.  I told him I was in a little town called Kinsale.  He replied that he LIVED near Kinsale!  He went on to suggest that we meet!  He asked where I was staying and he replied he knew the hotel and suggested that we meet for coffee the next morning.  I asked, "how will I know you?"  He replied, "You will."  I remember asking myself, "is this really happening?"  I have never been so brave to email an author of a book on a topic that I am so interested in.  And to receive a reply was amazing, but come on; he lives near where I am staying?!  Is this possible?

The following morning, Ray and I were having breakfast in the hotel restaurant.  From the window by our table we watched a car pull into the parking lot.  A gentleman exited the car and happily walked  toward the hotel.  Within two minutes, Roderic Knowles was standing by our table introducing himself.

Ray stayed a while and left allowing Roderic and I some time to talk.  We were like two old friends.  We talked about his work, the books he has written and the books he intended to write.  I talked about the spiritual cruises I co-produced and the working I do with Life Coaching.  I remember him asking me why I hadn't written a book.  And I remember replying that I don't know what I would write about.  I remember his smile and kind and gentle manner.

A Reunion
Over the last 4 years, Roderic and I have emailed each other and maintained our friendship across the ocean.  When Ray told me that we were going to Ireland, I emailed Roderic to see if it would be possible to meet and catch up.  Roderic and his beloved, Elly have invited me to come and stay with them for two nights in Kenmare, their new home.  I am so excited to visit with Roderic.  Today I received a 'Happy Travels' email from him and Elly.

Now I have to go and pack.  This feels surreal.  It feels exciting.  And it IS happening.

I'll keep you posted and you please keep my 'safe travels' in your thoughts.

Hugs and love,

Marybeth

No comments:

Post a Comment